Mole End

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." "As he hurried along, eagerly anticipating the moment when he would be at home again among the things he knew and liked, the Mole saw clearly that he must keep to the pleasant places in which his lines were laid and which held adventure enough, in their way, to last a lifetime.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Manly Traits in Literature

It recently occurred to me that unmarried girls of the literary vein have an unrealized but very strong literary judgment of any men in their lives. I was thinking, merely to amuse myself, that if I could only name one of Mr. Darcy's qualities, which would be the one that completely personified him. Then a thought flitted across my mind to do the same with all the great male characters in literature, so...

Henceforth all the men in you literary lasses lives should have all of the following qualities, and read the book from whence each gentleman comes; otherwise he is not worthy.

Mr. Knightly's knightlyness
Mr. Darcy's manners
John Brook's niceness
Mr. Bhaer's comfort
Robin Hood's justice
Wiliam Wallace's scottishness (this being quite essential)
Gilbert Blythe's persistance
Faramir's leadership
Sam Gamgee's friendship
Edward Ferrer's honor
Henry V's nobility
Pa Ingall's wisdom
Dr. McNiel's service (and scottishness, again)
Zachary Moon's romance (in the good, old-fashioned way)
Grandfather Fordyce's jollity
Jack Aubrey's boldness
David Lyall hominess

(now for the unmarried gentlemen)

Matthew Cuthbert's kindness
Peter Pevensie's forgiveness
Edmund Pevensie's redeemed soul
Canon Tallis' resourcefulness
Jean Valjean's self-sacrifice
Roger Walker's unique perspective
Father Brown's purity
Dickon's music
Badger's protection
Mole's steadfastness
and last and very important, every man should have a little bit of pixie dust...
Peter Pan's fun

If I have forgotten any literary gentlemen, forgive me. And above all,
Never Be A Wickham.

6 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger X said...

Don't I fall short. :)

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger ithchick said...

Yeah! Someone besides Shieldmaiden comments! Well, you have the music, fun, friendship, niceness, unique perspective, redeemed soul, but you need some more Scotch.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Laura Kathryn said...

Oh Rebecca! I love love love you!
What a fabulous post. You are truly a Kindred Spirit.
Your choice of men are perfect, from Robin Hood to Mole! (And I love your Blog name...we're big W in the W fans.)
This one is getting printed out and copied into my journal.
I do feel rather sorry for all the gentlemen though...what a tall order!
I am Fiona -waitin' for ma Dearie (Scotch...how coincidental!).
-K. Green

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger ithchick said...

I love being loved! Do you think I left any elegible literary gentlemen out?

 
At 6:35 PM, Blogger beatrice said...

Oh how lovely!!!!
Exactly the ones I would have chosen!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Dodger of Sheep said...

Must...remember...all of them...*quickly makes list*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home