Mole End

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." "As he hurried along, eagerly anticipating the moment when he would be at home again among the things he knew and liked, the Mole saw clearly that he must keep to the pleasant places in which his lines were laid and which held adventure enough, in their way, to last a lifetime.

Thursday, January 05, 2006

A Morning Prayer-anonymous

COMPASSIONATE LORD,
Thy mercies have brought me to the dawn of another day,
Vain will be its gift unless I grow in grace,
increase in knowledge,
ripen for spiritual harvest.

Let me this day know thee as thou art,
love thee supremely,
serve thee wholly,
admire thee fully.

Through grace let my will respond to thee,
Knowing that power to obey is not in me, but
that thy free love alone enables me to serve thee.

Here then is my empty heart,
overflow it with thy choicest gifts;

Here is my blind understanding,
chase away its mists of ignorance.

O ever watchful Shepherd,
lead, guide, tend me this day;
Without thy restraining rod I err and stray;

Hedge up my path lest I wander into unwholesome pleasure,
and drink its poisonous streams;
Direct my feet that I not be entangled in Satan's secret snares,
nor fall into his hidden traps.

Defend me from assailing foes,
from evil circumstances,
from myself.

My adversaries are part and parcel of my nature;
They cling to me as my very skin;
I cannot escape their contact.
In my rising up and sitting down they barnacle me;
They entice with constant baits;
My enemy is within the citadel;
Come with almightly power and cast him out, pierce him to death,
and abolish in me every particle of carnal life this day.

4 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger beatrice said...

Beautiful!
Why have you not tried writing poetry before? It's lovely!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger beatrice said...

The above statement does not imply that you wrote the wonderful piece posted, the remark was remarked merely because I hit upon that thought just at that moment.
I think you would write very good poetry.

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger rachel tsunami said...

Oh ith,

This is just beautiful---and so powerful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger ithchick said...

Actually, I have written one good poem, but I can't write consistently good poetry. Creative, narrative prose is more my style.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home