Mole End

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." "As he hurried along, eagerly anticipating the moment when he would be at home again among the things he knew and liked, the Mole saw clearly that he must keep to the pleasant places in which his lines were laid and which held adventure enough, in their way, to last a lifetime.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The Wonder of Words

I love words. I love the feel, the sound, and the taste of words. Sometimes I am hungry for words to the extent that hours fly by as I pursue the good ones. (I am sure you have experienced this.)

blackgard-this word is meaty, with a wealth of righteous disdain, but it cannot be thrown away on the lowest of the low. The one on whom this word is bestowed must deserve it. For instance, it cannot be lavished on a greasy dog who eats all of ones Christmas fudge. That is too low to earn this word.

mist-this word is just like what it describes. It clings to your tongue, lending an air of beauteous mystery to your voice.

silver-Oh, how this word rings! As it passes your lips, the sound is like the light clancing off a narrow bracelet, sparkling first here, then dancing there.

fleece-This is a word of warmth. When I hear this word, I picture bare feet sliding out of bed, cold toes sinking into the warmth of the wool.

gables- Anne of Green, of course. But gables are so homey. I think of eager girls preparing for a picnic, a bride and her attendents in a flurry of preparation, boys planning wars against the across-the-way enemy, parents in slow meditation of the day.

scheme-the very sound of it is full of potential dangers, possible betrayal, and certain injury.

sleigh-Can't you hear the bells? Little gold and silver bells, ringing lightly with the wind that tugs at their tiny clappers. You can hear the gentle swish of the runners underneath you, cutting easily across the snow, and feel the piping hotness of the warmed bricks below your feet.

crimson-I see a dark Victorian drawing room, oriental rugs on the floor, beaded cushions on the horsehair couch, a cold fireplace, and heavy curtains. And then I see the blanket, red threads and scarlet threads and threads the color of an Amish barn woven together in a scarlet coverlet.

What words do you love? How do they sound, taste, and feel to you?

2 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Blogger ithchick said...

I thought that about crimson too, but I had a hard time putting it into words, so I went witht he second best picture in my head.

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Dodger of Sheep said...

The following English words are by far my favorite:
like
totally
you know
duh
cool

and of course, a long, drawn out "DUUUUUDE!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home