Mole End

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." "As he hurried along, eagerly anticipating the moment when he would be at home again among the things he knew and liked, the Mole saw clearly that he must keep to the pleasant places in which his lines were laid and which held adventure enough, in their way, to last a lifetime.

Friday, March 17, 2006

She Fought the Good Fight, She Finished the Race,She Kept the Faith

Today I said goodbye to a friend.

Private First Class Amy Duerkson, Radio Operating Technician, was shot in the chest last week in Iraq, and died on Monday. She was nineteen. One of my best friends, always quiet and encouraging, Amy constantly thought of others before herself. She was always sweet, ready to listen, serving unnoticed in the background. She loved her country, her family and her friends.

She was given full military honors. They gave roll call as part of the ceremony, calling her name three times, but she didn't answer. That was the hard part. Amy is in heaven at the feet of her Lord and Savior, but it is very hard for the people like me that she left behind to say goodbye.

I love you Amy.

3 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger joe4444 said...

Man I'm really sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for ya. I can't say I've been in your position, but I've felt the pain of losing someone that I cared a lot about, and it really hurts.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Cal-el of Krypton said...

She sounds like an amazing person. One we all would have been blessed to have known. I am truely sorry for your loss, but I believe it is like you said she is in heaven at the feet of her Savior!

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Lynn Bruce said...

I'm so sorry, Rebecca. One never gets used to losing friends, but the Lord is faithful to comfort us through it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home